Wednesday, February 8, 2012

On my mind.

(*This probably didn't come out exactly as I planned; my apologies.)     I've been meaning to write this post for awhile now and since bunny is ignoring me, I should take advantage of that. I recently had a conversation with a person who told me that it doesn't matter what is said or done, because (s)he's a Christian and is going to Heaven regardless. It broke my heart. On the one hand, yes it is true. If you are covered in the blood of Christ, meaning if you have acknowledged your wretchedness and Jesus' holiness and your need for a Savior and have repented of your sins and put your faith in Christ and His sacrifice on the cross for you - then yes, you are going to Heaven regardless of what you do becuase of the radical grace, love and mercy God has shown you. Ephesians 2:8-10 states " For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them." There is nothing you or I or anyone else to can do to earn salvation and we can't lose it either. We do not serve a fickle God. He is constant; steadfast; unchanging. (Malachi 3:6 "For I, the Lord, do not change...; Hebrews 13:8 " Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.")
     However, we are called to be holy; to be set apart. We are called to be imitators of Christ. Jesus has given us this beautiful, priceless gift for FREE, so shouldn't we respond in a way that shows our appreciation for that? He has granted us eternal life, shouldn't we at least try to obey what He wants out of a deep love and respect of what He did for our wretchedness? We so despereately deserve Hell, yet He died for us to give us Heaven. Shouldn't there be a seperation from the world, after all - Jesus was not of the world and since His life covers ours then we have been graciously given the same thing. So shouldn't our lives reflect Heaven?  In Matthew 7:16-20, Jesus says " You will recognize them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? So, every healthy tree bears good fruit, but the diseased tree bears bad fruit. A healthy tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a diseased tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus you will recognize them by their fruits."
    What we do matters. It doesn't matter in regards to us getting into Heaven, but it matters as our witness for Christ to non-believers. How are we supposed to shine light on the world if we're acting in the darkness? How do we show others Christ's love when we're gossiping or slandering or betraying or belittling or or or....? Shouldn't we be different? Shouldn't our lives reflect Christ? Shouldn't they? The radical grace God has given to us as a free gift should not be taken advantage of to sin or be viewed as something we need to work to keep or repay out of feeling guilty. He gave us a radical gift of grace so that we could live FOR Him. How are we living FOR Him if we're going against what He wants for us?
    The default mode of our hearts is self-righteousness. The gospel says that we're free in Christ because of what HE did and not anythign that we did. The gospel is Jesus on the cross - Jesus on the cross for my sins; for your sins - so that I may have a right relationship with God. It's not Jesus + all of the things I do to look good. It's Jesus. It's Jesus alone. The fact that I did nothing should shape how I feel about Jesus. He paid it ALL. I should show Him respect and do my best to obey Him and not purposely do or say something that would show Christ in a negative light. If I am purposely doing something to hurt another person because I'm upset with them; that is NOT Christ in me, but sin in me.
    I'm not saying that we HAVE to follow His commands because He died for us. This is not a works righteousness religion. There's a balance between legalism and antinomianism. (Legalism: excessive adherance to the law; Dependence on moral law rather than on personal faith; doing everything to the letter of the law to earn your place. Antinomianism: the flagrant disregard for God's commands.) We follow God's commands because we LOVE Him; just as I do my best to keep the house clean because I love my husband and it makes him happy. We should rest in God's grace, but not take advantage of it.
 The radical grace God has given to us as a free gift should not be taken advantage of to sin or be viewed as something we need to work to keep or repay out of feeling guilty.



(i didn't proof read this. sorry)

1 comment: