Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Headaches & Living Water

     Tonight when we went to one of our small groups, I knew the topic we would be discussing (relationships), but I didn't think that one of the more impactful things would be my simple and utterly ridiculous prayer request. On the surface, the prayer request that my headaches are really bad again and that I would be more disciplined in taking the steps I need in order to not have them might seem a little vague and might make you think that there is something more going on with my head than there really is. But there's not. All I need to do in order to keep my headaches away is remember to take my multi-vitamin/iron vitamin and drink water. This is all - and yet I constantly and consistently don't do it. I know EXACTLY what I need to make the headaches bearable or even non-existent. Yet I don't do it. And I couldn't help but think of how many of us are like this when it comes to hearing the gospel, confessing our sin and proclaiming Jesus Christ as Lord.
     Through the trials in my life, there was always one person, if not more, telling me about Jesus and how He can transform my life. How, if I would only admit my need for Him and surrender all to Him, that I would be able to face this life with hope and confidence. And it wasn't just words. I had testimonies of Christians of where they were headed in their life and how horrendous it was before they became a Christian and how graciously and mercifully God had completely transformed their lives. How they went from suicidal thoughts or drugs or violence or depression or...or...or... to joyfulness and hope. They could face the world with a new kind of confidence.
     God was working on me and softening my heart, yet I continued to say "No, just because He did that for you, doesn't mean He'll do that for me", "no thank you", "what's good for you isn't good for me" and a myriad of other excuses in my failed attempts to keep God from getting into my heart. But He was already there, all I had to do was step up and drink the water.  Just as I constantly don't drink water to cure my headaches even though I know it's the only thing that will work, I was refusing the cup of living water that Christ faithfully and continually offered to me. I was facing life in despair with barely anything - and I knew that Christ was the answer, but I continued to push away.
     In John 4:7-15, Jesus talks about living water. The water that will lead to eternal life. This is the gospel. This is repentance. This is a life lived out in faith. I finally stepped up and drank the water. Just as I know that water will ease my headaches, I knew all along that the water Jesus offers me would lead to a life of purpose, fulfillment, joy, contentment, hope and so much more.

And all it takes is living water.

No comments:

Post a Comment