Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Keeping a Clean House

 "An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels...She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness."
-Proverbs 31:10, 27

"Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good, and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled."
-Titus 2:3-5


     As a Christian woman I am exceedingly grateful that God has given us an example of what a godly, excellent wife looks like in the Bible. However, in the hustle and bustle of this Martha world, I find it rather difficult to keep my heart in the right place and to keep in mind that as a wife, the things that I do for my family are rather important - regardless of what this world tries to tell us about being old fashioned (or worse).
     For the majority of our first year of marriage, I struggled immensely with two things that I was VERY convicted of on a daily basis. What were they? Making dinner for my husband and keeping the house clean. These are things that I personally feel are important things to do as a wife, and yet I was unable to keep on top of it. Part of it had to do with the fact that I worked 40+ hours most weeks and was exhausted by the time I got home and the other part of it was that I had NO idea where to start. I've already posted about meal planning which has helped me GREATLY learn how to budget my time in order to make dinner for my husband (you can read about that here), so this post will focus on my other major struggle: keeping the house clean. 
     The fact that I have been greatly convicted of these things indicates that they are something that I should be doing to the best of my ability when I can; and since I have spoken with other young married women who have said similar things to me - I'd like to share with you all my cleaning list. I thought I had already posted it, but I haven't located it - so my apologies if this is a repeated post.
     I found this list on RealSimple.com, however I have not been able to locate this exact list on their website anymore - so here it is. I appreciate that it is broken down into daily, weekly, and seasonally things to do and my husband appreciates it too. He now comes home to a pretty neat home and doesn't have to think about doing anything after a long day of work [[trust me though, there are still plenty of days where he comes home and it's a disaster, but instead of being an issue or a huge frustration which it seemed to be in the past, he more joyfully and willingly helps me get the house straightened up again because I'm putting forth effort more than I used to]].
Kitchen
Every Day:
Wipe down sink after doing dishes/loading dishwasher
Wipe down stove-top
Wipe down counters
Sweep, Swiffer or vacuum floor
Every Week:Mop the Floor
Wipe the cabinets, backsplashes and appliances
Wash the dishrack
Wipe the switchplates
Take out the trash
Wipe the inside of the trash cans (I don't do this - I just spray it with lysol)
Throw out old left overs
Clean the stove burners
Every Season:Empty & Scrub down the inside of the refrigerator
Empty & clean the insides of the utensil drawers
Scrub down the cupboard exteriors
Clean the stove-hood filters

Living AreaEvery Day:
Pick up crumbs & dust bunnies
Fluff cushions & fold the throws after use
Wipe table tops & spot clean cabinets
Straighten coffee table books & magazines
Throw out newspapers, put away CDs & videos
Every Week:Dust all surfaces - electronics, books, blinds, picture frames, window sills & ledges, & tops of door frames; remove all cobwebs.
Dust, mop/vacuum floors
Vacuum upholstery (I honestly don't know what this means)
Throw out old magazine
Wipe switchplates, doorknobs, door jambs,
Shake out/vacuum doormat
Vacuum heating and AC vents
Every Season:
Wash insides of windows
Lift big furniture and vacuum underneath

BathroomEvery Day:
Wipe out sink
Wipe the toilet seat and rim
Swoosh toilet bowl with brush
Wipe mirror & faucet
Spray the entire shower and curtain with shower mist after every use (prevents soap scum build up and a mildewy smell if your shower curtain starts to smell mildewy....ours did and it drove me nuts. I would wash the curtain like every week or every other week...the shower mist cleaner stuff really helped! and the off brand (called Daily Shower Cleaner) is only like $2.50)
Every Week: Scrub the tub
Scrub the tiles
Mop the floor
Wipe the switch plates, door knob and door jambs
Empty and wipe out the waste basket
Every Season: Take down the shower curtain and launder according to care instructions
Empty, weed and clean out the medicine cabinet

BedroomEveryday:
Make the bed
Straighten up nightstands
Put away laundry
Put away jewelry
Every Week:Strip bed and wash sheets, pillow cases, etc.  (I usually do this every other week - we don't have a back up set of sheets yet so I feel like this is a bit ambitious to do EVERY week...I hope that's not gross)
Sweep, mop, vacuum the floor
dust all surfaces
throw out old magazines
wipe the switchplates, door knobs, and door jambs
empty the waste basket
vacuum the heating and ac vents and inside of the closet
Every SeasonFlip the mattress
wash insides of the windows
launder matress pad and dust ruffle

I know this doesn't tackle things like: the patio, dining room, office area - but it's a great start! Once I've started the daily list, it's easy to see what needs to be taken care of in the dining room (like clearing off the table, vacuuming up crumbs), the office area (I mainly just 'straighten up' and throw away old ads, eventually it will get a "deep clean" and I will declutter), and patio (spray it down with a hose). 
A big plus to this list: once you get used to it, you can clean the apt in 20-30 mins which leaves lots of time to have fun doing other things and it's a great routine to get into! I'm convinced that since I'm so used to this now, that when we have a house I won't get completely overwhelmed when I clean the house. :)

But the biggest plus of it all: The hubster appreciates it a lot and it's makes my heart very joyful and happy knowing this!

Happy Cleaning!

No comments:

Post a Comment