Friday, January 13, 2012

On Modesty...

I can't presently sleep so I've decided to go through a bunch of old writings I have done in the past. The following was written June 10, 2010 - and while I could easily change a few things or go into detail about others, I'm leaving it exactly as it was written then.


I suppose I'll start this off with I usually wear layers - so when I ended up getting my outermost shirt pretty wet from a mishap with a sink today, it was pretty easy to just take that one off...I still had a mostly dry tank top underneath. All I had to do was wait till I got to Rite Aid to get the keys to the car that was carrying my luggage. I had already made the obvious decision that I needed something more than just my tank top, and that was affirmed in a quick exchange with a new and dear friend on the way to the car. Unknowingly, his quick affirmation set my mind to a million different places - the most dominant in regards to modest dress among women in today's society as well as glorifying God and preservation for a future husband (God willing), as well as a project of letters one of my good friends is working on.

I have come to the realization in regards to modesty with clothing, and for that I am eternally grateful to God and one of my friends. :)
Growing up in South Orange County, not in a Christian home, I learned very quickly that in our fallen, corrupt world clothing is not worn to cover nakedness, rather to push the limits on how much we can expose. I remember in 4th grade my teacher called a meeting with the girls of our class to discuss appropriate attire for elementary school - shirts that exposed the tummy and shorts or skirts that were shorter than your finger tips could reach were a.no-go. My friend Ry and I were the main violators that caused this talk... I don't think either of us wore long enough shirts or bottoms up until that time (and we tried to push the limits even after). What does this say about our society, that a talk about appropriate dress was required among 4th graders?!? Keep in mind, this was also during the time Clueless and the Spice Girls were majorly popular. Society teaches us at a young age (too young of an age) that in order for a female to be successful and considered beautiful they must resort to sex appeal, not intelligence, heart/who she really is. and so low self esteem and body image issues arise. Girls turn to Cosmo and eating disorders and, at times, dumbing themselves down. But does any of that quench our deeper thirst to know we are a part of something bigger? That we're significant and contributing positively to something much bigger than us? No.

The Bible teaches us what a woman's role is and how she should behave - this is nowhere near society's viewpoint of objectifying and degrading women.

Proverbs 31 describes a worthy woman. In verse 22 it tells us "she makes coverings for herself; her clothing is fine linen and purple." She is not dressed in something revealing or trashy, rather she is COVERED in FINE LINENS. She is rewarded for her efforts to honor God and others and is dressed in a manner that displays that honor. She is covered  which is honoring to God, others and herself. In verse 25 it says, "strength and dignity are her clothing..." Would a strong and dignified woman in heart clothe her body in something undignified; iIn something that would provoke impure thoughts or cause others to look upon her with shame or disgust? No she wouldn't.

As a woman seeking sanctification, it is most important to destroy the world's view of how a woman should dress and act and focus on what is glorifying to God.

"Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." 1 Corinthians 10:31

Let's focus on the "whatever you do" part. Whether we eat, drink, dress, think, speak, act - whatever we do - everything we do-- we must do it in order to bring glory and honor to God, the King of the universe.
As John MacArthur put it, "Christian liberty, as well as the most common behavior, is to be conducted to the honor of God."

"'I will vindicate the holiness of My great name which has been profaned among the nations, which you have profaned in their midst. Then the nations will know that I am the Lord,' declares the Lord God,'when I prove Myself holy among you in their sight.'" Ezekial 36:23

No comments:

Post a Comment