Sunday, June 24, 2012

Recipe: Flour Tortillas

Hi Family & Friends!
     The other day I decided that we were going to have burritos/tacos for dinner since we had left over beans from our small group & I didn't want things to go to waste. However, I was in a lazy mood and didn't want to go to the grocery store after I discovered that there were NO tortillas to be found in the house. So naturally, it was easier to just hand make them. Since this was my first attempt, I can't say that these popped out at me as "the best", but they were still quite delicious- even though I made them way too thick. I do, however, think that next time I will add a little more salt or something so they have a little more flavor. I got the recipe from Eat Good Food, though I deviated slightly...very slightly.


First things first - get your ingredients ready. I'm finding it much easier to measure everything out when you start. I make far less mistakes this way than when I'm doing everything at the same time.
You will need:
  • 2 Cups all-purpose flour 
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder 
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp vegetable oil
  • 3/4 Cup warm milk (not hot)

Combine all dry ingredients and the oil. It will a little bit clumpy and a lot of dry - distribute the oil as evenly as possible. 
Next, heat up your milk so it's warm - using the stove is probably better, but I used the microwave because I a client was on her way over and I needed to move fast.

Add the milk in slowly, I did about a 1/4 cup at a time. Mixing after each 1/4 cup. It's gonna get ooey-gooey, but it may not get ooey-gooey as quickly as you think it will. It took longer than I thought, but once it's gooey - it's pretty gooey.

Now comes the work. Turn the ooey-gooey ball of dough out on a floured surface, set the timer for 5 minutes and get to kneading. You will knead the dough for the full five minutes. The recipe didn't really say exactly how fast to knead it so I went from a medium speed to a slow speed.

When you're done kneading the dough, put the entire dough ball into a bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Let sit for 20 minutes.
Rumor has it that if you don't let it sit for the full 20 minutes that the dough will be rubbery and very difficult to work with. I decided not to test this and let it sit for the full 20 minutes.



When the 20 minutes are up, separate the dough into 8 equal sections, roll them into little balls, place in the bowl again- not touching (I used two bowls), cover with the damp cloth (again), and let sit for another 10 minutes. (At this point, my client had arrived, so they ended up sitting for about an hour to an hour and half - I don't think this really effected them.)



Next, on a floured surface, take one ball of dough and pat it out into a 4 inch diameter circle. I couldn't get it into a circle, so it was more like an oval. Using a rolling pin, roll out your dough ball into an 8" diameter circle (or oval). It's easiest to roll from center out, but find what works best for you and just go with it. I am a terrible measurement judge, so mine ended up being a bit thicker and probably closer to 6 inches than 8 inches. Next time, I'll get closer. :P [[no rolling pin pictures, sorry - I was a floury mess at that point).




Now, heat up a frying pan! I used the 8" one, realized that it was probably small for what I was attempting and after 2 or 3 tortillas switched to a larger frying pan. Don't add any oil or butter or pam or anything - just heat. Take your 8" dough circle and plop it into the frying pan for about 30 seconds, or until it starts to bubble up, then flip it over and heat the other side for about 30 seconds, or until it bubbles up. I found that tongs worked best in flipping sides.


Eat Good Food blog says that "They keep well in the fridge for a few days, wrapped in foil/etc. Reheat them any way you like, but I personally like putting them in foil in the oven for a few minutes until they're nice and warm."



Lots of warm yummy tortillas from me to you,
    Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment